Friday, October 19, 2007






The Bathing Suit Lady

When I left home 16 months ago I had 5 bathing suits on board. Due to the heat since February when we entered the Bahamas they have been the mainstay of my wardrobe while on board.
By the time we reached Puerto Rico I started an earnest search for replacement suits.
While still searching unsuccessfully in Grenada another "yachtie" told me of a seamstress in Trinidad who specialized in swim wear, at bargain prices yet. She embellished with details of how one could select and purchase one's own spandex for the suits, at discounted prices, from the huge selection in the many fabric shops in Trinidad. My heart was a flutter - could there be hope?
When we arrived in Trinidad we heard by way of the cruiser's net that the "sewing ladies" actually visited the marina there on a weekly basis - no searching for them -could it be that easy? When they arrived that week I was there to meet them and have happily enjoyed a wonderful relationship with them since.
The bathing suit lady's name is Debbie Otway and the stories I had been told about her were indeed true. She specializes in custom swim wear. She miraculously made a pattern from my 2 remaining, dry-rotted suits and made for me a one piece suit, 3 tankini tops and 6 bottoms. I will enjoy her brillant handi-work for months and miles to come.
Other garments are left to Debbie's friend, Bernice. She kindly custom made for me a sun-dress, 2 pairs of shorts and 5 t-shirts.
I feel like I have a new lease on life thanks to these talented women and will happily be singing their praises right up the island chain.

No comments: